High Country Recreation is partnering with River and Earth Adventures for an upcoming LOCAL caving trip to Worley’s Cave on Saturday, January 31st. Join other local families (children over the age of 5 would have a BLAST) for an underground caving experience you will never forget!
Explore this non-commercial cave (no sidewalks or electricity) with helmets, high power headlamps, experienced guides, and your imagination. Crawl through tunnels and walk through chambers in one of the largest caves in our region. This is an ideal experience to get introduced to the interesting and adventurous world of caving!
Locals who would like to attend need to email their interest to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call 828-773-4122 to reserve your spot. The reduced cost for locals is $40/adults and $10/each child. The group will meet at River and Earth Adventures Outfitters (next to Sunrise Grill) at 10am on Saturday the 31st and will carpool together to the Elizabethton, TN outpost where they will be outfitted with gear and meet their tour guides. The trip inside the cave will be somewhere between 2-4 hours. Individuals will be responsible for packing their own lunch and water for the day and will be expected back in Boone around 5-6pm.
Participants should expect to get VERY dirty. Blue jeans and top layers are recommended with shoes that have good tread and you don’t mind getting VERY muddy. Wool socks are also recommended. You will need to bring a COMPLETE change of clothes as well as a trash bag to place dirty clothes into for the ride home.
You can check out more of the adventures available through River and Earth Adventures at raftcavehike.com! Make sure to follow both River and Earth Adventures and High Country Recreation on facebook as they will be doing a give-away for 4 children to be able to attend the trip!
Join us on us on Wednesday, October 22 at 3:30 p.m. to celebrate the latest section of the Middle Fork Greenway. The ribbon cutting will take place in front of Mystery Hill at 4:00 p.m. Park at Tweetsie and follow the Greenway to the celebration!
Rocky Knob Bike Park is hosting Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day. Expect Lots of 2 wheel goodness for the whole family. This is a a perfect event to help your child get into mountain biking or take the next step in their riding skills.
10am – 2pm, Saturday Oct 11th.
On Tuesday, October 2nd, High Country Recreation co-hosted a Candidate’s Forum on recreation along with Blue Ridge Conservancy and High Country Pathways. There are six county commissioner candidates competing for three open seats, and all these candidates attended the event. The open seats are:
1) Why did you choose to participate in this forum? (1 min)
2) What role does recreation play in economic development for our community? (2 min)
3) What role do you see the Board of Commissioners playing to support recreation in our community? (2 min)
4) A community recreation center has been an expressed need of the community for decades both in county/town planning and in community surveys. Since a YMCA is not coming to Watauga County, what plans would you have to meet this need? (2 min)
5) Trails and greenways have been shown to be one of the most important recreation amenities in statewide and local surveys. What role can the county play to support the development and building of local trails and greenways? (2 min)